Clarendon Way, Leeds LS
Women's and Children's Hospital (site of)

The Leeds Hospital for Women and Children was founded in 1853 at 28 East Parade (later the Alliance Assurance Co.)  In 1860 the estate of Springfield Lodge was purchased for £3,000, and the new hospital opened in October 1861.  Although not mentioned in Heaton’s journal (which only contains the ‘edited highlights’ of his life), Heaton was the consulting physician for the hospital from 1869 to his death in 1880 and it would be strange to leave it off the map.  The hospital's annual report for that year noted that ‘the universal respect in which he was held by all classes of the community, was amply demonstrated at his funeral in St George’s Churchyard.’

Hospitals for women often became the focus of female charity.  From at least 1870, Ellen Heaton was an annual subscriber of £2.2s.0d.  From 1871 to around 1876, she was also on the Ladies’ Committee.  The 1878 report lists Fanny Heaton as one of the stall holders at a bazaar held to raise funds for the hospital.

The original building was replaced by a new hospital on the same site in 1903 (see here).  This in turn was demolished in the later 20th Century, along with the surrounding streets, to make way for what is now the Clarendon Wing of the LGI.

Further Reading:

Claye, Andrew M. [1953], A History of the Hospital for Women at Leeds, 1853-1953. Leeds: Walker Graham.