2 Infirmary St., Leeds LS1 2JP
Leeds General Infirmary (original site of)

The current building on this site began life as the Yorkshire Penny Bank, completed in 1894 and designed by G. B. Bulmer.  It is located on the site of the original Leeds General Infirmary (1771), which remained here until the opening of the current premises in 1869, the building being demolished in 1893. Heaton was a physician at the Infirmary from 1850.  Further information can be found at walking tour point 3.  Nearby on East Parade is the site of the Leeds Medical School, next to which was Heaton’s first independent residence in Leeds, now occupied by No. 1 East Parade (walking tour point 1).

For a view of the original building from Leodis, click here.